I am a Senior Researcher at the High-Assurance Software Laboratory, a research center of INESC TEC and University of Minho, and an Associate Professor at the Department of Informatics of University of Minho.
My work focuses on dependable distributed systems. I am interested mainly in data management, including storage systems, database replication, polyglot system and polystores, and in group communication, including consensus and gossip-based protocols for large-scale systems. I am also interested in tools for testing, evaluating, and monitoring distributed systems.
- 17/04/2024 Our paper “TiQuE: Improving the Transactional Performance of Analytical Systems for True Hybrid Workloads” has been accepted at VLDB’2023.
- 12/04/2023 Our paper “TADA: A Toolkit for Approximate Distributed Agreement” has been accepted at DisCoTec / DAIS’2023.
- 12/04/2023 Our paper “An Experimental Evaluation of Tools for Grading Concurrent Programming Exercises” has been accepted at DisCoTec / FORTE’2023.
All past projects.
- N. Faria and J. Pereira. MRVs: Enforcing numeric invariants in parallel updates to hotspots with randomized splitting. Proc. ACM Manag. Data (SIGMOD), 1(1), 2023. (doi:10.1145/3588723)
- R. Macedo, Y. Tanimura, J. Haga, V. Chidambaram, J. Pereira, and J. Paulo. PAIO: General, portable I/O optimizations with minor application modifications. In 20th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST 22), pages 413–428, Santa Clara, CA, February 2022. USENIX Association.
- F. Neves, N. Machado, R. Vilaça, and J. Pereira. Horus: Non-intrusive causal analysis of distributed systems logs. In 2021 51st Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), pages 212–223, 2021. (doi:10.1109/DSN48987.2021.00035)
- R. Macedo, J. Paulo, J. Pereira, and A. Bessani. A survey and classification of software-defined storage systems. ACM Computing Surveys, 2020. (doi:10.1145/3385896)
- B. Kolev, P. Valduriez, C. Bondiombouy, R. Jiménez-Peris, R. Pau, and J. Pereira. CloudMdsQL: querying heterogeneous cloud data stores with a common language. Springer Distributed and Parallel Databases, pages 1–41, 2016. (doi:10.1007/s10619-015-7185-y)
- J. Leitão, J. Pereira, and L. Rodrigues. Epidemic broadcast trees. In IEEE International Symposium On Reliable Distributed Systems, pages 301–310. IEEE Computer Society, 2007. (doi:10.1109/SRDS.2007.27)
- J. Leitão, J. Pereira, and L. Rodrigues. HyParView: A membership protocol for reliable gossip-based broadcast. In IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, pages 419–428. IEEE Computer Society, 2007. (doi:10.1109/DSN.2007.56)
- Distributed Systems (BSc)
- Large Scale Distributed Systems (MSc)
- Distributed Systems Paradigms (MSc)
- Database Administration (MSc)
- EDCC 2022: 18th European Dependable Computing Conference (Student Forum PC)
- LADC 2022: 11th Latin-American Symp. on Dependable Computing (PC Co-Chair)
- ISSRE 2022: 33rd International Symp. on Software Reliability Engineering (PC)
- SRDS 2022: 41st International Symp. on Reliable Distributed Systems (PhD Forum Co-Chair)
- DSN 2022: 52nd IEEE/IFIP International Conf. on Dependable Systems and Networks (PC)
- DAIS with DISCOTEC 2022: 22nd International Conf. on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (PC)
- ACM SAC DADS 2022: 37th ACM SAC Dependable and Adaptive Distributed Systems Track (PC)
All past service.